Saturday, November 07, 2009

Sachin Tendulkar

I was at a party yesterday. The topic of discussion was the loss in the recent one day match against Australia. The conversation moved on to Sachin Tendulkar. One of our colleagues blamed Sachin for not carrying on batting to see that India won. I was really amazed by the argument.

Few of our colleagues seemed to be very critical of Sachin. Their arguement was that he plays for him self and for his own individual records and not for the Indian team. And that whenever Sachin plays well the Indian team loses. And that 17,000 runs was no big deal. And that Don Bradman praising him means nothing. And that he is no great player and he is more hyped than a genuine great player. He plays for money only. Whenever he is required to play he falls sick. (Citing his absence at some of the IPL matches). And that Sachin's application for waiver of custom duty for his Ferrari was bad. When ordianry citizens pay the duties why should the celebrities seek special advantages particularly when they earn so much of money.

I was a bit surprised by the animosity. (I have noted that hostility against Sachin on some previous occasions too). Although some of the criticism was not mis - placed. I have also failed to understand why he should have sought to get a waiver for the custom duty considering that he got the car free and that he could afford to pay the cutom duty. And if he did not afford to pay he should have declined the offer of the gift.

I do not claim to know cricket and I am not an enthusiastic follower of the game. But from what ever I see in the press about Sachin, his interviews etc., I have a picture of his personality and his character. I believe he is definitely one of the greatest players of the game and a genuinely decent bloke. It is hard for me to believe he plays for himself or for his records only or that he would miss matches on purpose. But that is my view and in democracy every body is entitled to his view and opinion.

Many a times I feel judgements by people in India are less objective and at times quite harsh. There is more emotion than objectivity.

There was only one strong supporter of Sachin in the gathering. It was nice to see a fan supporting his idol so valiantly.

Not that Sachin is infalliable but a little more objectivity wont hurt..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home